By Scott Shindledecker
SHARON, Pa. — It was a tough evening for District 9’s nearly five dozen wrestlers at the Class AA Northwest Regional Tournament, but there were still several that made the semifinals to move a step closer to a state berth.
Fifty-six wrestlers from the district took to the mats Friday at Sharon High School with the hopes of securing a Top 4 finish and a berth in next weekend’s PIAA Championships.
Twenty-one made the semifinals after Friday’s pig-tail and quarterfinal round action. Three dozen were in the wrestlebacks.
The Brookville Raiders had the most wrestlers in the semifinals of the D-9 schools with six. Brockway had three while Redbank Valley, Port Allegany and Ridgway had two each. Clarion, Cranberry, Curwensville, Keystone, Smethport and Sheffield each had one.
Here’s a look at their performances, by school.
• 106-pound Keelan Kunselman opened with Grove City’s Cory Bable in the quarterfinals and pinned him in 3:04.
- 113-pound Gavin Park started in the quarters and the top of the bracket and took on Reynolds’ Andrew Ischo, beating him 11-3.
- 132-pound senior Tate Ortz started with a quarterfinal match against Sharpsville sophomore Brock Salvatore, winning by tech fall, 17-0.
- 138-pound Cole Aaron opened in the quarters and faced Alex Smith winning 7-2.
Video of Aaron in action
- 170-pound sophomore Xavier Molnar opened in the quarterfinals and faced Greenville junior Gavin Wilkerson, losing 8-5. Wilkerson won a pigtail match to advance.
- 182-pound Noah Cieleski opened in the quarters and he took on Greenville’s Brenden Calvin, winning 5-2.
- 152-pound Caleb Hetrick started in the quarters and faced Sharon’s Giovanni Volpe, claiming a 6-4 win
- 195-pound Dane Clever had a quarterfinals match against Skarpsville’s Chris Mueller and lost 3-0.
- 220-pound Tyler Cook had a quarterfinal match against Reynolds’ Cole Rickert and lost 4-2.
- 120-pound Kai Sorbin had a bye to the quarters and took on Cambridge Springs’ Tye Varndell, dropping a 10-2 major decision.
- 160-pound Dom Palmer had a pig-tail match against Iroquois sophomore Joe Galvin and won 7-4. He then lost 21-8 to Eisenhower’s Louis Head.
- 285-pound Bryce Town had a pig-tail match against Northwestern’s Jacob Hanson and won 1-0. He then was beaten 3-0 by Reynolds’ Gene Ringer, 3-0.
- 120-pound Ryan Carlson opened in the quarters and faced Jamestown senior Faris Messai, dropping a 4-3 decision.
- 113-pound Mitchell Overbeck started in the quarters and faced Habor Creek’s Nick Oosterkamp, scoring a 5-4 decision.
- 126-pound senior Mason Lindenmuth had a match in the quarters with Jamestown senior Hunter Goodlin and rolled to a 15-0 tech fall in 3:22.
- 170-pound Mike Martino began in the quarters and faced Fort LeBoeuf’s Julian Gorring, losing 3-1.
- 138-pound Dustin Jamison had a pig-tail match against Grove City’s Dalton Meals, winning 5-4 before being tech falled by Fort LeBoeuf’s Jarret Carter.
- 182-pound Garrett McClintick lost by tech fall to Lakeview junior Soloman Dougherty, 16-1.
- 195-pound Pierce Yahner had a pig-tail match against Fort LeBoeuf’s Lane Reinwald and was pinned in 5:21.
- 220-pound Mark Latuska had a pig-tail match against Union City’s Brandon Kent and lost 9-4.
- 195-pound Bobcat senior Zach Sintobin opened the quarters with a 10-3 win over Conneaut’s Braden Morris.
Video of Sintobin in action
- 145-pound sophomore Colton Rapp had a bye into the quarters and there he faced Commodore Perry junior John Mott, who pinned Rapp in 2:52.
- 170-pound Junior Mike Lefay opened with Hickory senior Robbie Thomas and lost 15-6.
- 145-pound Julian Smith had a quarterfinals matchup with Seneca’s Chris Hibbler and lost 6-5.
- 113-pound Trevor Olney had a pig-tail round match with Lakeview’s Derick Uber, winning 6-5 before getting pinned by Fort LeBoeuf’s Abe Guarriello.
- 126-pound Dustin Kudrick had a pig-tail match against Northwestern’s Caiden Mooney and won 5-1. He then was pinned by Reynolds’ Cole Matthews.
- 152-pound Gage Arnold had a pig-tail match with Hickory’s John Sims and won 10-8. He then was beaten, 13-3, by Saegertown’s Nick Monico.
- 160-pound Paul Zacherl opened with a quarterfinal match against Franklin’s Ty Carey, winning 15-7.
Video of Zacherl in action
- 132-pound Josh Hancock had a bye to the quarters where he faced Greenville junior Mike Lineman and lost 10-2.
- 152-pound senior Shae Bloom opened in the quarterfinals and opposed Seneca senior Adam Fish. Bloom was leading comfortably before Fish had to injury default.
- 106-pound Blake Passarelli had a bye into the quarters and faced Cochranton’s Devan Davis, scoring a 7-5 decision.
- 220-pound Steve McClure had a bye to the quarters where he faced Sharon senior Bryce Laughlin and lost 11-4.
• 132-pound Devon Norlin had a pig-tail match against Union City’s Dustin Weilacher and lost 9-2.
• 138-pound Alec English had a bye to the quarters where he faced Saegertown’s Jude Mattocks and lost 14-6.
- 160-pound senior Chad Rogers, had a bye into the quarters and faced Sharon junior Nick McClimans, losing 1-0.
- 182-pound Panthers senior Evan Redding opened with a quarterfinal match against Habor Creek’s Dan Kuhn and lost 7-3.
- At 195, freshman Tyler Vantassel had a bye to the quarters where he met Cambridge Springs senior Deven Simpson and lost 7-0.
- 285-pound senior Tyler Beal had a bye to the quarters and faced North East’s Jeff Kraemer, winning 4-2.
- 182-pound Grant West had a bye to the quarters where he took on Cambridge Springs senior Hunter Cox and lost 13-3.
- 106-pound Dylan Pesock opened in the pigtails with Northwestern’s John Wheeler and lost 7-0.
• 160-pound Mac Tanner started with a quarterfinal match against Corry’s Tyler Burlew and won 10-6.
- 220-pound Ethan Budd opened in the quarters and faced Lakeview’s Tyler Zebrovious. Budd pinned him in 3:53.
- 170-pound Josiah Ramadhan had a bye to the quarters where he faced Reynolds junior Joel Leise and lost 13-2.
- 120-pound Trey Stiles had a pig-tail match with Habor Creek’s Mark-Samuel Sallot and lost 9-4.
- 145-pound Jake Kallenborn opened with Saegertown senior Dan Simmerman in the quarters and lost 7-1.
- 120-pound sophomore Lukas McClain began with a quarterfinal match against Reynolds junior Gage Bayless and lost 15-7.
- 132-pound sophomore Logan McClain started with a quarterfinal match against Slippery Rock Mike Doerflinger and lost.
- 106-pound Kyle Bush had a bye to the quarters and took on Greenville’s Aaron Gelvin, but was pinned in 1:58,
- 113-pound Bryce Barclay had a bye to the quarters and faced Maplewood’s Kenyon Andrews, beating him 7-0.
- 126-pound Drew Baumgratz had a bye to the quarters where he opposed North East’s Garrett Kopp. Baumgratz won 11-6.
- 285-pound Colton McClain had a bye to the quarters where he opposed Hickory’s Jared Miley, losing 3-2.
• 126-pound senior Tanner Altobelli won his 30th match with a 15-6 win over Lakeview’s Owen Clayton.
- 285-pound Bulldogs senior BryLee Shumaker faced Cambridge Springs senior Zach Stafford in the quarterfinals and won 7-6.
• 152-pound Terrel Williams had a bye to the quarters and faced Greenville’s Josh Christner, winning 12-5.
- Undefeated 145-pounder James Duffy had a bye to the quarters where he faced North East’s Adam Ballew. Duffy won 12-0.
- 138-pounder Adam Shunk had a bye to the quarters where he battled Reynolds sophomore Hunter Michaels. Michaels won 8-0.